If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I’ve been loving Flautas since I first encountered them in a long-gone Mexican restaurant in Chicago in the Dark Ages (70s). This recipe is really easy, and a great choice to make a day or two after you’ve roasted a chicken. In Mexico City a few years ago, friends took me for Flautas that were quite different – made with long, oval tortillas, they more closely resemble the flutes for which they are named. And they’re deep fried, so extra crispy; then served in a bowl of clear broth. - ChefJune
Makes 6-8 servings
Prep the Chicken:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup organic unbleached flour
- 1 cup chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley (or cilantro, if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- dashes each of nutmeg and paprika
- fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 12 flour tortillas
- Crème Fraîche or Sour Cream
- Melt butter and blend in flour to make a light roux. (Be sure to cook the flour for a couple of minutes.) Add salt and stock. Cook, stirring until thick. Add parsley, lemon juice, onion, paprika, nutmeg and a dash of freshly ground pepper. Stir in chicken. Cool slightly.
- To Assemble Flautas, Place a heaping tablespoon of mixture on tortilla. Roll tightly, and fasten with a toothpick. Fry in deep hot fat for 1 or 2 minutes until tortilla is crisp and brown. Serve with a dollop of Crème Fraîche or sour cream and this sauce:
- 2 ripe avocadoes (I prefer Hass)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 10 drops Tabasco sauce
- pinches fine sea salt
- Peel, seed and smash avocados. Add all the other ingredients. Mix until smooth. Spoon sauce over the cooked Flautas.
- Teacher's Tip: You could also make this dish with leftover Thanksgiving Turkey. No one would ever guess it was "leftovers."
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.