If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Everyone has a favorite chicken sandwich. Mine is an Italian-American favorite -- breaded chicken cutlets are pan-fried until crisp and golden then smothered with garlicky broccoli rabe and sharp provolone cheese. If you don't like provolone, then I'd recommend using fresh buffalo mozzarella. For a variation, you can make these sandwiches with veal cutlets. —Food Blogga
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 4 (4-6 ounces) chicken cutlets (about ½-inch thickness)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 splashes milk
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium bunch broccoli rabe, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon oilve oil
- 2 small garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 torpedo rolls or ciabatta rolls
- 4 slices sharp provolone cheese
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk eggs, milk, crushed red pepper, and salt.
- Place flour in a separate wide, shallow bowl. Do the same with the breadcrumbs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Dip one chicken cutlet at a time in the flour, then in the egg mixture, allowing excess to drip into the bowl. Dredge in the bread crumbs, ensuring that the entire cutlet is evenly coated. Add to the skillet, and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp. Place on a paper-towel lined dish. Repeat with remaining cutlets.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Boil broccoli rabe for 2 minutes; drain and plunge into a bowl of ice water. “Shocking” the rabe will maintain its vivid green color.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and garlic. Sauté until garlic starts to turn golden. Add broccoli rabe, crushed red pepper, and salt. Sauté 1-2 minutes more until just tender.
- Place one split roll on a clean work surface. Place chicken cutlet on the bottom half of the roll. Top with ¼ of the broccoli rabe and 2 slices of cheese. Place under a broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broccoli/Broccoli Rabe Dish