Author Notes: Anchovies can sometimes be too salty for me...until I mix them with caramelized onions and whip them into butter. Then you get a bread topping that tastes like the Swedish classic dish Jansson’s Temptation. - cookingwithleftovers
Food52 Review: Can it get any better than rich, creamy butter; sweet, caramelized onions; and salty anchovies? The flavorful onions partly dissolve in this butter, but they also leave little bits of sweetness studded throughout. The anchovies melt beautifully into the background and aren't overwhelming. The result is the perfect accompaniment to a grilled steak or a simple piece of hearty toast. - EmFraiche
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 6 anchovies
- 1 tablespoon anchovy oil
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- Caramelize the onions slowly over medium heat along with the sugar and anchovy oil. This will take an hour or so.
- Dice the anchovies and add to the onion mixture. Take off the heat and let everything cool.
- Whip up the butter in a mixer until fluffy.
- Add the onion mixture and mix to combine. Season with pepper and slather on bread.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Anchovies