If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a very versatile soup. It can be served hot or cold. It makes a substantial soup suitable for a main course; but for a lighter version, the poached chicken can be omitted. —LynnE
Serves 6 - 8
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups chicken stock (homemade or lower sodium boxed)
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste (be careful if using boxed broth)
- Cover chicken breasts with at least 1 inch of water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a gentle boil, skimming off the foam. Reduce heat and cover, simmering for ten minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Let the chicken sit in the cooking liquid, covered, for another 5 to 10 minutes, then remove the breasts and cut into bite size pieces. Place the chicken pieces in a bowl with enough of the cooking liquid to cover, and put aside. (This keeps the chicken moist while the soup is assembled.)
- Place the chicken broth in a large pot, and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add the rice, and cover the pot. Decrease the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice into the egg yolks.
- Slowly whisk a ladleful of hot broth (or approximately 1/4 cup) into the lemon/egg yolk mixture. Add several more ladlefuls of broth, continuing to whisk so that the egg yolks do not curdle.
- Whisk the lemon/egg yolk mixture into the large pot of broth and rice. Drain the chicken pieces, and add them to the soup. Turn the heat to low, and do not let the soup boil. Stir occasionally for approximately 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- If serving the soup cold, cover and place the pot in the refrigerator, when the soup has cooled slightly. Cool to desired temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cold Soup
The Best Thing since Sliced Bread
Crispy cheese has our hearts
We are in love—with this toast.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
It's in the bag.