If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by Balthazar in NYC, salmon is crusted with mustard and breadcrumbs and simply seared, then served over a bed of lentils simmered with carrots, celery, onion and bacon. It's an incredibly simple dish, difficult to mess up, but because it's a classic bistro dish, it has glamour, mystique. A certain je ne sais quoi. - Borrowed Salt
- 1 cup lentils (ideally de Puy)
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 dash white pepper
- 4 salmon filets
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
- Combine lentils and 4 cups cold water in saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- In another saucepan, sauté bacon and thyme over medium heat about 2 minutes. Add onion, garlic and salt and cook for 5 minutes until onion is translucent. Add butter, carrots, celery, pepper and 1 cup / 235 mL water and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Drain lentils and add to the bacon-veg mixture. Simmer lightly for another 5-10 minutes and lentils are very tender.
- Preheat oven to 500F / 260C. Season salmon on both sides. On the rounded side of each filet, spread about 2 Tbs mustard, then press in 1 tsp breadcrumbs to form a crust.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. When oil is shimmering hot, add the salmon, mustard-side down. Lower heat to medium. Sear for 2 minutes, then carefully flip and sear 1 minute more. When flipping, take care to keep the crust from breaking off the fish. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 3-4 minutes more, depending on size of salmon.
- Serve salmon over a bed of lentils. A simple green salad dressed with a mustard shallot vinaigrette would be a great pairing for a meal.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.