If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This past weekend we hosted yet another fabulous meeting of the minds for our monthly book club. And what book club meeting doesn't need a fabulous treat to go with it? In the spirit of channeling warmer weather, I thought these Key Lime Pie Cupcakes would be the perfect citrusy sweet treat! - Kait Turshen
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup organic white sugar
- 1/2 cup allergy friendly shortening
- zest of 1 key lime
- juice of 1 key lime
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup allergy friendly non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners or generously grease with allergy friendly oil; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine water and flaxseed. Whisk well and set aside for 5 minutes to allow mixture to thicken. This will serve as your “egg” in the recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and shortening until well combined, approximately 2-3 minutes. If using an electric stand mixer, use the whisk attachment.
- Add flaxseed mixture, lime zest, lime juice, vanilla, and lemon juice; continue to beat until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl with spatula as needed.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Sift in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with milk and scraping sides of bowl as needed. If using an electric stand mixer, switch to the paddle attachment for this step. Batter should be smooth and slightly thick. Remember it is important not to over mix your batter.
- Fill prepared muffin cups about two-thirds full with batter; bake until tops are springy to the touch and cake tester comes out clean from centers of cupcakes, approximately 18-20 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in pans for 5 minutes. Turn out on a wire rack for remainder of cooling. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost with Key Lime Frosting [recipe below] and garnish with crumbled Enjoy Life Vanilla Honey Graham Cookies.
Key Lime Frosting
- 2 cups allergy friendly powdered sugar [corn starch free]
- 1 cup allergy friendly shortening
- pinches salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Beat shortening, sugar, and salt until mixture is well combined. If using an electric stand mixer, use paddle attachment and beat on high once powdered sugar is fully incorporated.
- Add lime juice; continue to beat until frosting is light and fluffy.