If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: . The restaurant called Henry Thiele's is no longer standing. It was a wonderful restaurant at the top of Burnside Street in Portland, Oregon. I spent a lot of mornings there with my friends plotting our days (and nights). I think that James Beard, who was from Portland even wrote about the pancake and had his own version of it. (included in his 1972 "American Cookery") My version is from the restaurant owner (a fierce little man) and I hope that this version makes you a memorable pancake. I used to make it for my husband to be. I even (still) have a special pan to make it in. —dymnyno
Makes 1 pancake
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup cream or milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 lemon
- powdered sugar
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Start with room temperature ingredients. Heat the pan , either the "official" pan or a cast iron skillet.
- Mix the salt, sugar and flour and cream.
- Beat the eggs, one at a time into the flour mixture.
- Melt the butter in the pan (there is a special pan for making the pancakes, sort of a small, short wok-like pan)
- Pour the batter into the hot sizzling butter.
- Put the pan in the hot oven.
- The pancake will take about 15 to 20 minutes to cook...it will puff up a lot.
- Remove the pancake from the oven. Traditionally it was served with a squeeze of lemon juice and then sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- I love it with sauteed apple slices, or tart berry jam or even fresh strawberries.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
How to keep shelves tidy.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Get your shine on.