If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These bright green cupcakes are like a green smoothie - in cake form. Perfect for St. Patrick's Day, or any day, the kale can't be tasted but leaves an amazing colour and some extra nutrients in your sweet cupcake. - Kate | Veggie Desserts
- 2 cups kale leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line or grease a muffin tray.
- Boil or steam the kale leaves for a few minutes until tender. Refresh under cold running water, drain and puree in a food processor or with a hand-held stick blender (it will still be a little bit stringy). Set aside
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then beat in the kale puree, vanilla, zest and orange juice.
- Sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt, then stir to gently combine.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Frost with the icing when cold.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered icing sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Sieve in the powdered sugar and beat until thick. Add enough orange juice to make it a frosting consistency.
- Spread on the cooled cupcakes.