For the bread
- 10 tablespoons (6 oz) softened butter
- 10-12 slices of thick-cut, white bread
- 4 tablespoons marmalade
- 2 large oranges, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar
For the custard
- 360 milliliters (12 fl oz) milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 4 tablespoons light cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and generously butter a large baking dish (about 2 litres) with some of the butter.
- Cut the crusts off of the bread then butter and spread with marmalade. Cut each slice into 4 triangles.
- In a small bowl stir together the orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Soak each triangle of bread in the syrup and arrange in the baking dish until it's completely full.
- In a large bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar and cream. Pour this over the bread triangles in the dish. Spoon over any remaining syrup.
- Bake pudding for 30 minutes until browned and crisp on top.