If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You have likely seen versions of this recipe scattered across the internet. It answers to the name shakshouka as well, an Israeli dish by way of Tunisia. But this is my own little version, which I’ve filtered to my liking and nudged in the direction of Italy. This is largely a pantry dish, so call upon it when you are low on time and supplies, but don’t want to sacrifice taste. It is quick, easy, and satisfying. —Cristina Sciarra
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small white onion
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 oz (1/2 can) white beans or chickpeas
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 16 oz jar of very good quality tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon Harissa
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 4 eggs
- Heat the oven to 375F. Mince the garlic cloves, and thinly slice the white onion. Set a 10-inch saucepan on the range, and turn the heat to medium. Add the olive oil to the pan, and when it is heated, add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook 45 seconds more.
- Rinse and drain whatever beans you are using, and then add them to the saucepan. Shower the beans, onions, and garlic with a healthy pinch of kosher salt and a few cracks of black pepper; stir.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the pan. Strip the thyme sprigs of their leaves into the pan, too. Add the harissa and most of the Parmesan. Spoon in the ricotta and the pesto, and swirl both around a little with the tip of the spoon to distribute.
- The tomato sauce should be very gently bubbling now. Crack the eggs into the pan, spacing one in each quarter. Top with the last bit of grated Parmesan. Move the saucepan to the oven, and bake until the egg whites are set, about 12 minutes. Serve with a fresh baguette.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
More Great Recipes: Breakfast & Brunch