If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've always been a savory girl, eating my oatmeal with butter and salt instead of the usual brown sugar or maple syrup. When I got a big bag of farro in my CSA, my brain started buzzing with different ways to use it - and breakfast farro was at the top of my list! If you remember to make it the night before, this truly is a one-handed breakfast. But if you're like me - the farro bubbles while I take a shower and the hands on time slicing mushrooms and cooking an egg are done in a flash as it cools a bit, becoming creamier. The dollop of paprika-spiked sour cream is the ultimate kicker, my last effort to convert sweet breakfast lovers to the savory dark side. - Jackie Varriano
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 10 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream and paprika together, set aside.
- Rinse the farro and pick out any stray stones or debris. Place in a large, heavy bottomed pot and add water. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30-40 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt two tablespoons butter. Once foam subsides, add shallot and garlic. Cook for two minutes, until shallot starts to become translucent and add mushrooms. Saute, stirring until mushrooms are fully cooked, about four minutes. Season to taste. Remove from heat
- In your favorite egg pan, melt the remaining tablespoon butter over medium heat. Fry your eggs (I like them over-medium).
- In a bowl, place one cup of farro. Top with half the mushroom shallot mixture, a dollop of sour cream, one egg and half the fresh thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Devour!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe