If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My family loves to fish, albeit only when the fish seem to be biting. I went trout fishing for the first time a year ago and it was amazing. The fight of the size of fish I caught was intense, but I would do it again in a minute. One of my favorite breakfast items when traveling or even just up in Northern Minnesota is trout and eggs. I don't often fish during the winter months, but really craved a trout and egg breakfast. I found to be one of the best canned trout I have ever tasted. Yes, I said canned trout. It was brought to my attention at a local grocery store demonstration tasting and I instantly bought a handful of cans. Recently, I was inspired to make my very own version of trout and eggs. Enjoy! —Senorita Tijerina
- 2-3 Sweet potato, peeled and diced in 1/2" cubes
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Large shallot, peeled and diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, diced
- 1 Can trout in oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Capers
- 2 Green onion, diced, green only
- In a saute pan over medium heat add 1/2 T of oil and the sweet potato, saute until sweet potato is tender 6-8 minutes.
- Add shallot and garlic and continue to saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add trout and oil from trout into the saute pan and stir.
- Let sit for about 4 minutes until it begins to brown and becomes crisp and then flip.
- Let this side sit for an additional 4 minutes until brown and crisp, then add salt, fresh ground pepper and capers and stir.
- Let both sides crisp up once more only about 2 minutes per side and then add in green onion and serve.
- Add additional salt to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
Our Recent Favorite Recipes
Spaghetti! Pork chops! Croissants!
Our recent favorite recipes.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).