If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love savory breakfasts, but I'm late to the oatmeal game. Yes, I know, it's really good for you, but I always found it to be gloppy and unappetizing. Then I found steel cut oats and my life changed. And about a year ago, I discovered Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats, and I became a rolled oats fan as well.
What I love about this recipe is that it's very adaptable (you don't have za'atar? No worries, chop up some thyme or basil. You don't like cheddar? No big deal, use Swiss.), and no matter what you do, it comes out good. It's also stick to your ribs filling, and even makes you feel virtuous for getting some greens in so early in the day. Plus, you can make lunch while the oatmeal cooks-- it only requires occasional stirring-- so it's perfect for when you have to get out the door quickly and you want a hot breakfast. —drbabs
- 1/2 cup Rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spinach (frozen is fine, just drain it well)
- 1 heaping teaspoon za'atar
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and black pepper as needed
- In a small saucepan, bring water and salt to boil. Pour in oats, reduce heat to medium, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Grate cheese into a serving bowl. Add spinach, za'atar , and red pepper flakes if using. When oatmeal has finished cooking, pour it into the serving bowl and stir we'll till blended. Taste and add more za'atar , red pepper flakes, salt and/or black pepper as desired.
- Serve immediately. (It gets slimy when cold.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.