If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Turmeric is hot right now but not in that obnoxious paleo diet, food-trendy, "kale is the new everything" way. It's every inch the real deal. Let's tick off the positives, shall we? It is insanely good for you, a key component in an endless variety of awesome foodstuffs and as a bonus, it's PRETTY, like really, intensely, fully-saturated color-bomb pretty. And as we all know, pretty food is the very best food. - Slow Club Cookery
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup stoneground cornmeal
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon extra sugar/ crushed red pepper for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place cupcake liners in muffin tin or grease an 8" square baking dish.
- Whisk together ground flax seeds and boiling water, set aside until thickened and gelatinous.
- Combine non dairy milk and apple cider vinegar, whisk together and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl toss together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, chili powder, turmeric and crushed red pepper. Add thickened flax seed mixture, non dairy milk and olive oil. Stir until well combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full or spread batter into greased baking pan. Sprinkle with extra sugar and crushed red pepper.
- For muffins, bake for 15-18 minutes. For cornbread, bake for 20-22 minutes or until top is browned and cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.