Author Notes: I haven't missed/ don't miss eggs. I baked my first batch of vegan cookies at the ripe old age of 14, followed shortly thereafter by my first vegan cake, and never looked back. But every now and again, while watching breakfast companions devour eggy omelets, I feel little pangs of jealousy. Not over the eggs themselves, but because *DAMN* the omelette is an optimal breakfast stuffs delivery system.
You can put anything in there, and a lot of anythings at that.
Breakfast burritos and breakfast bowls are all well and good,
but omelets bring the fully-loaded fancy.
And we should all be bringing more of the fancy in 2014.
So I've spent a few snowed-in days tinkering with ingredients
and came up with this non-eggy solution.
A variation on a traditional socca, or chickpea crepe,
tailor-made for all your breakfast needs.
Fancy pants. - Slow Club Cookery
- 1 cup Chickpea (garbanzo) flour
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoon extra olive oil for cooking
- your choice of fillings
- In a medium bowl combine chickpea flour, water, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk together until mixture is smooth and has the consistency of a pancake batter. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Prepare your omelette fillings.
- After batter has rested, oil a nonstick or cast iron skillet and preheat over medium-high heat.
- Add turmeric and nutritional yeast to batter, whisk to combine. Using a large ladle, add about half of the batter to the heated skillet.
- Allow omelette to cook for 3-4 minutes until batter takes on a firmer consistency and begins to bubble, pancake style. The omlette should be lightly browned on the cooked side.
- Add fillings to one side of the omelette and, using a large spatula, fold other side over top. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes more, depending on your fillings and flip if more cooking is needed. Repeat for second omelette.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas