If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love cobblers because, to be honest, I am scared to death of pie crust. This recipe has worked well for me with many different kinds of fruit - cherries, nectarines, plums, apricots - but it's particularly good with peaches. The topping is a variation on a biscuit recipe my college roommate got from her mother for her wedding. It requires no butter, comes together in about three minutes, and can be made sweet or savory. It's one of my most treasured bits of paper. - ErikaKerekes
- 6-8 large peaches, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups plus 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil (can substitute melted butter)
- 2/3 cups plain yogurt, buttermilk or kefir
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss the peaches with 1/4 cup sugar and 3 Tbsp flour, and the lemon juice in a bowl. Let sit about 30 minutes. Mix again, then pour into a baking dish which you've coated with cooking spray.
- While the peaches are sitting, make the topping: Whisk together the remaining flour and sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In a measuring cup, pour the oil and spoon in the yogurt (the oil first up to the 1/3 cup mark, then the yogurt until it reaches the 1 cup mark). Whisk them together a bit, then pour into the dry ingredients. Mix it all together with a spatula or wooden spoon. When the dough has come together, knead it a few times in the bowl with one hand.
- Pinch off globs of the dough and scatter them on top of the fruit. Sprinkle with a little extra sugar if you like, or not. Bake the cobbler about 45 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling furiously and the biscuit topping is golden brown. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, or on its own.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Peach Recipe