If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Strata is usually one of our staples for large family gatherings or special weekend brunches. And I love having leftovers that reheat quickly during the week. Usually I work from home so breakfast and lunch is not a hectic affair. But today I knew I would be gone all day and would need something a little more substantial than toast and almond butter. I had half a loaf of seedy, whole grain bread in front of me and decided to try a quick version of a strata- a savory french toast of sorts. I ripped up the bread and soaked it in an egg and milk mixture while I cooked some onion, broccoli and sausage. I then poured the soaked bread into the pan, gave it a little stir, topped it with cheese and covered it while I got my daughter's lunch ready. I then threw it under the broiler for a few minutes and ta-da! Strata! - savorthis
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups hearty bread, ripped into pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sausage, bacon or ham
- 1/2 cup something green (broccoli, spinach, asparagus)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (gouda, fontina, sharp cheddar or a mix of whatever you have)
- Heat broiler. Mix eggs, milk, dijon, salt and some pepper until blended. Stir in bread, pushing down until submerged in egg.
- Heat butter in an oven-proof pan over medium high heat. Cook meat, onions and green items until starting to brown. Stir bread once or twice while veggies cook. Add bread mixture and stir gently to mix with veggies. Top with cheese, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook about 10 minutes or until strata is mostly set and bottom is brown. Put under broiler for a minute or two until browned and bubbly. Serve!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe