If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Veal sweetbreads are a little bigger than the lamb sweetbreads and therefore a little heavier, and I think requiring of a sauce. Chef Hideyo of 2117 (mentioned in another one of my recipes) does a great lamb sweetbread w/ red wine reduction. This is my version of his recipe. —coffeefoodwritergirl
For the Veal Sweetbreads:
- 1 pound veal sweetbreads (the smaller the better)
- equal parts olive oil and butter (for frying)
- 1 recipe Red Wine Reduction (to follow)
- (If your butcher has not already cleaned them...) Clean the sweetbreads by removing the membrane lining and cutting off visible excess fat tissue. Wash and dry thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Sauté in a combination of ½ butter and ½ olive oil over medium heat until golden (about 4 and a half minutes per side depending on size.) You don’t want to dry them out, but you want them fully cooked.
- Drizzle with red wine reduction and serve while hot.
For the Red Wine Reduction:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon e.v. olive oil
- 1-2 shallots (finely chopped)
- 1 bottle red wine (a Claret is good)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup beef stock (I like Wolfgang Puck’s organic – or homemade)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 3/4 cup port
- 1 1/2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch dissolved in a little bit of water
- Melt olive oil and 1 Tbs. butter in large saucepan. Sauté shallots until almost translucent; turn heat to low, add garlic and sauté until tender.
- Add beef broth, red wine, port and pepper and cook down until reduced by 2/3 and slightly thick. Adjust for salt.
- Whisk in cornstarch a little at a time until desired thickness. Whisk in butter.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Nose to Tail Recipe
Tequila's Not a One-Hit Wonder
Master the margarita—then go crazy
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Our latest #f52contest.
It's time to travel.
This week's #happylist.
Off to market.