If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Curried Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans with spinach and exotic spices aka CHANNA SAAG CURRY. A family favorite and heirloom recipe passed down from generations from my table to yours. Enjoy!
- 2 cups (1 can) garbanzo beans (organic canned)
- 1 pound fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) or olive oil
- 4 pieces (cloves) fresh garlic; sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (minced) or ginger paste
- 1.5 cups onion; diced
- 1/2 cup fresh roma tomatoes; diced
- 2.5-3 cups cups water (less if cooking in a pressure cooker)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 4 pieces whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 pieces whole green cardamoms
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili/cayenne pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons Currysutra curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander powder
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves; chopped (garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon Currysutra garam masala (garnish)
- Heat the ghee or oil and then add the cumin seeds, cloves, ginger and garlic.
- Fry for 2 minutes and then add the onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add the remaining spices except the garam masala and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another minute.
- Add the garbanzo beans (chick peas) and the water to this mixture and bring it to boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for 15-20 minutes on med low heat. Add fresh spinach during last 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and sprinkle on the garam masala.
- Note: Serve with Basmati rice and puris (balloon bread) and raita and mango chutney. An addition of mango shake or sweet lassi or chai will also compliment this Punjabi delight!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas
These beach eats can't be beat.
Shore-fire recipes for the beach.
Get out of the frame.
Chocolate has a meltdown.
These are nuts to travel with.