If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a healthy, thick stew with several layers of flavors and just a hint of heat. As an added bonus, the ingredients can be prepared as you go and there is only one pot to clean when you are finished. - James Spitznas
Serves 4 (generously)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 2 Carrots, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 2 Celery Stalks, cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 pound Fresh Squid
- 1 14.5 oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 11 ounces Baby Spinach
- 2 15.5 oz Cans Chickpeas
- 8 ounces Macaroni
- Heat large pot over medium heat. When hot, add olive oil and as soon as it begins to shimmer add the diced onions. Stir well to coat onions in oil and reduce heat to medium low. Periodically stir onions while peeling and dicing carrots; add carrots to pot. Do the same with the celery. Then add the garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook vegetables and periodically stir for about 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables are sautéing, clean and cut the squid into 1/2-inch rings. When the vegetables are soft (but have not taken on color), add the squid, tomatoes and wine to the pan, stirring well. Raise the heat to bring the liquid to a boil and add the spinach a handful at a time, adding more as the previous batch wilts. Cover the pot and return the heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Add the chickpeas and macaroni. Stir well and return the lid, cooking for 15 minutes more.
- Serve immediately, ladling the stew into heavy bowls. Drizzle a little olive oil on top of the stew if desired.
Take Some Time For Yourself
Indulge in a luxe dinner tonight.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Grilled Brie Sandwiches With Honey, Pistachio, and Kale Pesto
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars