If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Recently my mother in law gave me some nice Texas pecans, and my neighbor gave me two quarts of local honey - one a deep molasses color with a rich almost caramel flavor, and another golden amber toned honey that tastes of flowers. That is the one I used for this cake. - aargersi
Serves 1 9" cake
- 1.5 cups pecans (divided)
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus a big pinch)
- 1/2 cup unsalter butter plus 2 tbs - room temp
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey (divided)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs - separated
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Heat the oven to 350. Butter or spray a 9" round pan then line it with parchment. Place it on a baking sheet. Trust me.
- Melt 2 tbs butter, 1/4 c honey and a pinch of salt together. Pour this mixture into the pan then sprinkle in 1 cup of pecans. You can be OCD and flip them all the same way. Or not.
- Grind the remaining pecans into flour thusly: http://food52.com/blog/9162-how-to-make-your-own-nut-flours-without-making-nut-butter
- Whisk the dry ingredients (including the ground pecans but except the sugar)together. Whisk the egg whites until peaks form.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl large enough to hold everything until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk, then the honey, vanilla, and buttermilk. Now stir in the dry ingredients, then gently fold in the egg white, deflating as little as possible. Gently spoon the batter into the pan - if you start at the edges the pecans are less likely to run up the edges.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes then flip onto your serving platter. Admire. This cake is great same day and also pretty darn good for breakfast the next morning.
- Just a note - you are going to think that your cake pan and baking sheet are completely destroyed by burnt honey. They aren't. Just soak them a bit and they will clean right up!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.