Author Notes: When I was a kid, Noodles Romanoff was a part of the menu weekly. Mom would either buy the box and cook on top of the stove or buy the orange box and bake in the oven. Either way, it was always one of my favorite sides. Now I make it from scratch either on top of the stove or in the oven. This is an oven version of one... - inpatskitchen
Makes 4 to 6 side servings
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided (1/2)
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cups finely grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 8 ounces dry egg noodles (medium or wide)
- In a small sauté pan, melt one tablespoon of the butter, add the panko crumbs and gently sauté them until they become lightly golden. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, Parmesan, salt, pepper and sliced scallions and set aside.
- Cook the noodles per package directions, drain and return to the pan in which they were cooked. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter until melted and the noodles are coated well. Stir in the cheese/scallion mixture.
- Butter (or spray) a 10 inch round baking dish (or one similar in size) and turn the noodle mixture into it. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the toasted panko crumbs.
- Bake the noodles in a pre heated 400F oven for about 20 minutes and dig in!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions