If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the most typical liver recipe in the Lisbon area. It’s very simple to make, the secret behind the amazing taste is the marinating process that should be 12 hours. Try it, it has the most amazing taste. We serve it with boiled potatoes cut in slices and a lot of sauce! —Maria Teresa Jorge
- 18 ounces calf’s liver, deveined and trimmed, cut in very thin slices
- 3 tablespoons pork lard (or butter)
- 4 garlic cloves crushed whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 6 medium potatoes washed well and cut in half crosswise
- Prepare the liver cutting it in very thin slices. Devein it thoroughly.
- In a glass or plastic container, put the liver. Season with salt, freshly ground pepper, add the crushed garlics, the bay leaves, the vinegar and the white wine. Mix all the ingredients so the seasoning gets under and on top of the liver. Cover and chill overnight. If you are in a rush, well, what can I say, marinate for one hour!
- Bring a pot with water to a boil, add salt and the halved potatoes with skin. When cooked, drain. When cool enough to handle, peel them and cut in medium thick slices. Cover and keep warm.
- In a heavy sauté pan, melt the lard (much better) or butter, the garlics and bay leaves from the marinade. When the garlic starts sizzling, add the liver slices and quickly fry it, ½ a minute on each side. Remove the liver and keep warm.
- Add the marinade to he pan, bring to a boil and allow the alcohol to evaporate and the sauce to reduce. Then add the liver slices back to the pan, turn off the heat and cover with lid for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with the potatoes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Nose to Tail Recipe
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.