If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made this for a friend while she was recouperating from surgery. It's very warm and satisfying. The eggplant kind of melts into the meat sauce giving it a rich flavor, and the pecorino in the cheese sauce gives it just the right zing. - Berna
- Beef and Eggplant ragout:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14 oz can tomatoes
- Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces pecorino, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 10 ounces penne
- To make beef and eggplant ragout: In a large heavy saute pan, cook the onions until they begin to soften. Add the ground beef and saute over medium heat, breaking up clumps, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes longer. Add the garlic, salt, cinnamon and pepper and stir to combine. Make some room at the bottom of the pan, add the tomato paste and cook for a minute to caramelize. Then add the eggplant and tomatoes, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant literally "melts" into the meat sauce.
- To make the Cheese Sauce: Melt butter in a heavy 2 quart saucepan then stir in flour and cook over moderate heat, stirring for about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and slowly bring to a boil, whisking constantly until thickened. Add the cheese, salt and pepper and mix until all the cheese has been incorporated into the sauce. Let the sauce cool a bit before adding the eggs. Beat the eggs in a large bowl and gradually add the cheese sauce , stirring to combine.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water until al dente, and then drain in a colander.
- To assemble: Toss half the pasta with the beef and eggplant ragout and half with the cheese sauce. Pour the pasta with the beef ragout into a 3 quart baking dish, spreading evenly. Pour the pasta with cheese sauce on top, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 375 degrees, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes, until bubbly and golden. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Baked Pasta