Author Notes: There are so many various ways to prepare spinach, or any green for that matter. During the first few spring months, fresh spinach leaves are so thick and beautiful, so I find that braising them a bit with some olive oil, lemon and salt makes the leaves soft, but by no means wilted. I find that finishing these spinach toasts with a runny egg on top is a quick, wholesome meal fit for breakfast, lunch or dinner. - Lindsey S. Love | Dolly and Oatmeal
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 of a ripe avocado
- 1 free-range egg
- piece of bread, toasted
- salt + pepper
- Place your egg in a small saucepan, cover the the egg with water and place on a burner with a high flame. Bring water to a boil, cover, turn the flame off and time for 5 minutes (more or less depending on the size of your egg). Run egg under cold water to stop the cooking. Gently, remove the shell.
- While the egg is boiling, place a small skillet over a medium flame. Once hot, add the oil and shallot; cook for 1 minute, until soft and transparent. Add the spinach, and lemon juice, season with a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until slightly wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a fork, mash the avocado onto the toast and season with a pinch of salt. Add the braised spinach and soft boiled egg. Cut toast in half and season with a bit more salt and pepper.