If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A beautiful version of a classic comfort food
- 1 1/2 pound ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise (~8-10)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup yellow onions, chopped (1 med to large onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (** or 3 heads roasted garlic)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (** more or less for heat)
- 1 (14 oz) can plum tomatoes, with their juice
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (** fresh is best)
- 2 cups chicken stock (** water or vegetable stock if making the recipe vegan and/or gluten-free)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the tomatoes with1/8 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place them on a baking sheet & then into the oven to roast for 45 minutes.
- In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 Tbsp of olive oil, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock.
- Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade, or pulse in your food processor.
- Taste for seasonings. Serve hot or cold.