Author Notes: I've made these crackers plain, with garlic and herbs, with za'atar, etc. In the past I've mixed the za'atar into the dry mix, and you can totally do that, but since the colors and texture of za'atar are so pretty I thought rolling them into the surface would be best...and it was - total win both for looks and taste. It was all perfect with some extra olive oil on top and some Maldon for good measure. (Crackers adapted from Farm On Plate) - Lindsey S. Love | Dolly and Oatmeal
Makes 32 large crackers
- 2 cups garbanzo bean flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons za'atar
- Maldon sea salt for topping
- In a large bowl, whisk the garbanzo bean flour with the salt and baking powder until combined. Using your hands, rub the olive oil into the flour to distribute evenly; about 2 minutes - make sure there are no large clumps.
- Transfer the flour mixture to a food processor. With the processor running, drizzle the 1/3 cup of warm water until the mixture comes together. If your dough is still dry, add more water by the 1/2 tablespoon until dough ball has formed.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes. Divide it into two pieces and wrap each piece with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- While dough is resting, preheat oven to 350° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Prepare a flat work surface with two pieces of parchment paper. Place one piece of dough on top of one piece of parchment, wet your hands a bit and flatten the dough with your palm. Cover dough with second piece of parchment and roll out to an 1/8-inch thickness with a rolling pin.
- Trim edges and set scraps to the side, sprinkle with za'atar. Use your rolling pin and roll over the dough once more to push za'atar into the dough's surface. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush tops of crackers with olive oil, sprinkle with Maldon sea salt. Using a sharp knife, or pizza cutter, cut crackers in desired shape.
- Transfer the crackers to prepared baking sheets and bake for 18-20 minutes (**if you are making small crackers bake time will be between 12-15 minutes), rotating halfway through - crackers will be lightly browned on the edges when done. remove from oven and let crackers cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Best eaten the day of, but crackers can be stored in an air-tight container at room temp for up to 4 days.