If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: No...I don't mean tamales, the Mexican food . Tomales is a town and a bay out in West Marin, north of San Francisco (about 60 miles). My family was among the first residents of Tomales in the 1860s. When I was young there were many oyster beds in the bay...now very few, but very good. Hog Island Oyster Company produces delicious oysters. This recipe is a my interpretation of a recipe that is a favorite in Marin County homes and restaurants. —dymnyno
Serves about 2 dozen oysters
- 2 dozen medium or large oysters (at least 6 for each person)
- 1 lb baby spinach, washed and dryed
- 1 tbs butter (for sauteeing spinach)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbs garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere (loose )
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 tbs green onions (fine chop) with a little of the green part
- pepper to taste
- Put the butter in a suitable sized pan and saute the spinach until wilted. Drain and dry as much as you can. Then chop it up.
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, cheese, lemon juice, cognac, onions, and garlic.
- Using a half oyster shell as a base, put a tbs of spinach in the bottom of the shell.
- Add a freshly shucked oyster on top of the spinach.
- Put about 1 tbs of the cheese sauce on top of each oyster.
- Heat a broiler.
- Make a bed of rock salt on a baking pan to put the oysters on and to keep them from tipping over.
- Put the baking pan under the broiler about 4-5 inches from the broiler element so that the oysters cook and the topping sauce melts. When the cheese sauce is bubbling they are ready.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Way to Prepare Oysters
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.