If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This delicious Croissant Bread Pudding has all of the flavors of the classic Baklava but offers half the work! It is moist with little bursts of crunch from the nuts and the whipped topping is so good! This is a fun addition to any bread pudding lover's repetoire. I hope you will enjoy it! —Antigoni Sander McCloud
Serves 8 - 10 people
Bread Pudding Ingredients
- 7 Large Croissants
- 8 Eggs
- 2 cups Half and Half
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- Zest from 1 Large Orange
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons Cinnamaon, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 3/4 cup Almonds, Slivered
- 3/4 cup Walnuts, Chopped
- 2 tablespoons Butter, Melted
- Softened Butter for the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut the 6 of the croisssants in 1" cubes, place on a baking sheet and toast in the center of the oven for about 20 minutes, tossing every few minutes so that all sides get a bit crispy, but not hard. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet and then place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the: eggs, half and half, orange zest, almond extract, vanilla extract, salt, sugar, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and allspice. Pour this custard over the croissant cubes, coating them all. Next add 1/2 cup of the almonds slivers and 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, gently folding them into the mix. Let this all soak together in the bowl for about 30 minutes.
- Grease a 9 X 13 sized baking dish with butter and pour the bread pudding mixture into it. Next take the remaining croissant and rip it into uneven pieces and press them into the top of the pudding mixture. Scatter the remaining almonds and walnuts over the pudding, drizzle the melted butter over the top and sprinkle with a combination of 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- Place the baking dish in the center of your 350 degree oven. The baking time will take between 40 to 50 minutes, depending on how deep your baking dish is. You are looking for the final pudding to be a little bit jiggly, yet firm, with no liquid from the eggs remaining. If you are afraid that your pudding is taking too long and will get too dark on top, loosely cover it with foil for a portion of the baking time.
- When the pudding is done, remove it from the oven and place it on a cooling rack. Let it cool for at least 30 minutes before serving it. This is so delicious warm, so if you are not serving it right away, gently heat it up in the oven before you do. Before serving top it with Lemon-Honey Whipped Cream and a few more chopped nuts!!
Lemon-Honey Whipped Topping
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 2/3 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon Almond Extract
- Zest from 1 Whole Lemon
- Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
- Using an electric mixer beat the heaving whipping cream and the honey together until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl mix together the yogurt, almond extract, lemon juice and lemon zest. Fold this mixture into the whipped cream. This can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
Burnt Toast: Episode 11
It's time to travel.
You need to make this Indian spice mix.
Off to market.