Author Notes: This is a healthy and hearty concoction that can be served warm or chilled. Enjoy it with a hearty, toasted, multi-grain baguette or top with Parmesan shavings - Mariya
- 1/2 ounce olive oil
- 9 slices turkey bacon-cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 ounces pearl onions
- 1/2 pound kale-trimmed, leaves sliced 1/2 inch (feel free to sub collard greens)
- 1.5 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces Cannellini white beans-strained and rinsed
- 3/4 cups orzo
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- cayenne to taste
- paprika to taste
- To remove skin from pearl onions, simply blanch and shock them: in a pot, bring water to a boil, add onions to water and boil for 30 seconds; remove onions from boiling water and immediately place into an ice bath (bowl filled with water and ice, to stop the cooking process). Now, simply pop the skins off!
- Heat olive oil in pan and add turkey bacon. Cook until crispy; remove from pan; reserve.
- Add pearl onions and kale to the same pan (which should have the bacon juices in it); season well, zest garlic into the pan, and saute until tender.
- Once tender, stir in beans; mix and turn heat off.
- In a separate pot, cook orzo according to directions (simply boil water with salt and add orzo); cook until al dente; strain.
- Add turkey bacon and orzo back to the pot with all of the other ingredients and mix well.