If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These wonderful lightly sweet and delicate cookies are one of my favorites. They have a very interesting texture- a little sandy, like a rich shortbread cookie should be, but also somewhat crunchy and firm, with a very pronounced walnut and citrus aroma and flavor.
You don’t need to wait for Holidays or special occasions to bake and enjoy these delicious cookies, just let them cool slightly and then get a tall glass of cold milk or a piping hot cup of coffee and enjoy.
Makes about 40 -48 cookies, depending on the size of your cookie cutter
- • 1 cup walnut baking pieces, toasted and very finely chopped
- • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- • 1/3 cup light brown sugar + 1/3 cup white organic cane sugar
- • Zest of 1 medium lemon and 1/2 of an orange
- • 2 extra large egg yolks
- • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla + 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- • 2 cups flour+1/4 teaspoon salt, sifted
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, sugars and citrus zest in a bowl with a hand-hold mixer or a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Mix in egg yolks one at a time. Add flour and salt mixture, and then walnuts. Mix just until dough comes together and is well combined.
- Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill in refrigerator until firm, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into about 1/4 inches thick round. Using any shape and size you like or have cookie cutters, cut out dough pieces and place them about 1 inch apart on the baking sheets. Reroll scraps, chilling dough if it gets too soft.
- Bake both pans with cookies at the same time until golden, changing positions in oven halfway through, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on a rack.
- These cookies will keep fresh up to 3-4 days stored in airtight containers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts