If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is more of an idea than an actual recipe, so I am including the what and you can determin the how much / how many based on what your need is - I love serving this tray of treats at parties because each little bite packs a real flavor punch, plus, they're cute! May I suggest serving blood orange mimosas with them? - aargersi
Serves a party
- quail eggs
- creme fraiche
- prepared filo cups
- lemon zest / lemon juice
- minced chives
- red and black caviar
- Boil the quail eggs - just bring them to a boil in salted vinegared water, then turn the heat OFF and let them rest for for a few minutes..
- Crisp the filo cups in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes.
- Peel the quail eggs - this is a little bit of a labor of love because they are teeny, but the shell and that skin stuff inside the shell are thicker than chicken eggs so it is not as bad as you think. If you mangle a couple along the way don't worry - save the yolk for filling!
- Cut the eggs in half, and mash the yolks with a dab of creme fraiche, some lemon zest and a little squeeze of lemon juice. It should be rather lemony, as it will soon have some salty caviar on top.
- Fill each egg half with yolk mixture - I use an espresso spoon to do this.
- Mix together some creme fraiche, lemon zest and juice, and minced chives. Put a dollop of this in each filo cup.
- Alternating black and red, put a dab of caviar on each cup and egg. Arrange them on a plate and I like to garnish with additional lemon zest and chives. You can eat them right away or they will hold in the fridge for an hour or so.
- Eat them all, they don't make particularly good leftovers :-)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack