Author Notes: This recipe is a variation on my grandma's renowned oil cake with plums and walnuts - Cara Eisenpress
Makes one 9-by-9-inch cake
- 1 cup neutral oil, like safflower
- 1 13/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces plump dried apricots, halved
- Oil a 9 x 9-inch baking pan and line with oiled parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the oil, sugar, and eggs.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Pour the dry ingredients over the wet and fold in. Fold in the fruit and the pecans.
- Spread the batter in the pan. Bake on the middle racks for about 1 hour, or up to 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the top is crisp and brown and a toothpick or skewer inserted in comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a rack to cool.