If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've been baking this cake - and playing around with the recipe - for more than 20 years. It's my "go-to" cake for potlucks and parties. I'm always the "dessert person." - Maui Bonnie
Serves 10 regular people, fewer chocoholics
- best quality unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting pan
- 1 1/4 cups strong, brewed black coffee
- 1/4 cup bourbon (or whiskey)
- 6 ounces best quality unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- scant 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar for dusting cake
- Preheat the oven to 275?.
- Butter a 9” tube pan and then dust bottom and sides liberally with cocoa powder. Knock out excess and set aside.
- In a medium, heavy-bottom saucepan over low heat, heat the coffee and the bourbon. When it’s warm, add the chocolate and the butter. Stir constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool down slightly.
- By hand, stir in the sugar until well combined. Let stand for five minutes. Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on slow speed, add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture IN FOUR ADDITIONS. Mix only until each addition is incorporated. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on low/medium speed until batter is smooth.
- Pour into the prepared tube pan. Bake until cake tester in the center comes out barely clean, about 1 1/2 hours. Cool completely in the pan. After removing from pan to a cake plate, dust top with confectioners’ sugar. Nice to serve with a dollop of flavored whipped cream or, better yet, Hawaiian Vanilla Bean ice cream (or any vanilla bean ice cream if you’re not lucky enough to live in Hawai‘i!)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate Cake
11 Ways to Become a Little More French
Live la vie en rose.
Live la vie en rose.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
A feast for the ears.
Take these foods to go.