If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Different from the bacon "jam" recipes floating around, this relish is sweetened only with plums, vidalia onions, and a touch of maple syrup. Pair this with a creamy Camembert, then spread on crackers or slices of baguette for a delightful hors d'oeuvre. - Mary Tee Malmberg
Food52 Review: My family loves to order restaurant-made baked brie with sweet fruit sauces. I have more of a savory tooth so this less-sweet variation by Mary Tee Malmberg was a must-try for me. The recipe came together very easily, though I fried the bacon in two batches -- 1 1/2 pounds is a lot of bacon! If you want a chunky salsa consistency as Mary suggests, stop and check after about six pulses on your food processor -- it goes quickly. Note that with all that bacon, there's a good bit of chewiness to the relish. We liked the finished relish but felt it needed "a little something" to brighten it a bit. I found that a touch of chipotle in adobo was just the thing to give the relish some zing. - cookbookchick
Makes 24 ounces
- 1 1/2 pounds bacon
- 1 large vidalia onion (or 2 medium), thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 3/4 cup beer of your choice (I used Blue Moon)
- 1 cup prunes, pitted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Cut bacon in 1-inch pieces and throw in a large frying pan. Fry over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and put directly in a crockpot.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent. Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup beer. Simmer for about a minute. Add onion and garlic mixture to the crockpot, along with the bacon.
- Add prunes, remaining beer, syrup, and spices to crockpot and stir. Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Once done, discard bay leaf and transfer everything from the crockpot to a food processor and pulse until it's the consistency of a chunky salsa. Serve immediately over warm Camembert with crackers and bread.
- Note: You could also spoon 1/2 cup of the relish over an uncut wheel of camembert and heat everything in a 350° F oven for about 20 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
Not Just for Shmear
How to make your leftover bagel even better.
Eat Bagels for Lunch.
Listing What We Like.
Go play outside!
DIY Herb Rubs
3 Ways to Compost