If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A Cuban sandwich, done in cheeseburger form. - Dax Phillips
Food52 Review: The crisp bun balances the juicy, flavorful burger and mustard-mayo within. Though it might seem like there are too many things intermingling here, they all work perfectly together. The smoky, salty ham and the sour pickles are an incredible combination atop a simple burger. Close your eyes and imagine yourself sitting in an outdoor café with a warm breeze and the sound of lapping waves. Viva la Cubano Burger! - Mid-Mitten Homemade
- 1/2 pound ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shaved ham
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 5 pieces dill pickles, cut in ovals
- 2 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1 sturdy hamburger bun
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Begin by shaping your hamburger patty. Lay down a bit of wax paper on a plate, shape the patty, then lay down another piece of wax paper on top of it. Lay a dinner plate on top of the patty and press down lightly -- that should press it into a uniform shape. Season it liberally with salt.
- Preheat your cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, add the patty, salt-side down. Let the burger cook, untouched, for a few minutes. Flip it, then cook to your desired level of doneness.
- Slice your buns, then add a bit of butter to each side. Toast them on a preheated skillet, then set aside.
- Add the mayonnaise to the bottom of one bun. Add the mustard to the other bun. To the bottom bun, add the ham, then one slice of Swiss cheese. Top with the cooked patty. Add the pickles, then top with the remaining Swiss cheese. Add the top bun.
- Wipe the skillet, and return it back to the burner, setting the temperature to low. Put the burger in the skillet and weigh it something down with something heavy. After a minute or so, take a look at the bottom to make sure that you're not burning the bread. Flip the burger again and cook until the buns are crispy and the cheese is gooey. Enjoy!
You're the Best, Forget the Rest
The World's 50 Best Restaurants have nothin' on these recipes.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
These are mmmpanadas.
You won't be board with this game.