If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have a fondness for buttermilk marinated chicken, either fried or roasted, thus, every so often I find myself with extra buttermilk in the house. I started making buttermilk pies when I worked in a BBQ restaurant. I made teeny tiny lemon buttermilk pies that were so creamy and perfect, sometimes the never made it out of the kitchen. The other day I was feeling bake-y and had a couple of pie crusts in the freezer (a cheat, I know, but good in emergencies...I can't be the only one with occasional pie emergencies???), some buttermilk, some creme fraiche. (ahem Merrill) and felt like trying some thing new so here it is. I'm adding an alternative recipe with Meyer Lemon & Lavender, which I am making this evening to finish off a dinner of Provencal-ish Seafood stew. (The best thing about this is it uses one bowl and is ready in under an hour.) - Aliwaks
Brown Sugar Buttermilk Pie Filling
- 4 tablespoons flour
- .5 cups packed Brown Sugar
- .5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 scraped vanilla bean (insides only)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt (fine)
- 1/4 cup Cooled browned butter
- 4 whole eggs
- 1.5 cups Buttermilk
- 1 pie crust, blind baked
- 1 cup creme fraiche, whipped with vanilla bean & powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325. Whisk together sugars,vanilla, salt & flour
- Add eggs, whisking together one at time
- Slowly whisk in Buttermilk & butter till well combined
- Pour in to pie shell, bake @ 20 -25 minutes, till set and golden, should still be a bit woobly
- Let cool, cover with sweetened vanilla creme fraiche
Meyer Lemon Lavender Buttermilk Pie
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender buds
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon Meyer Lemon juice
- 1 blind baked pie crust
- Using mini food processor or spice grinder, grind up lavender & sugar together
- Whisk together, lavender sugar, flour, salt, lemon zest
- Add eggs, whisking in one at a time
- whisk in buttermilk, butter & lemon juice
- pour into prepared pie shell, bake 20-25 minutes till set though a bit woobly
- I think this is very nice served with a blackberry or blueberry compote, with a touch of lemon and barely sweetened.. and maybe a dollop of creme fraiche or greek yogurt, or whipped cream. Have it in my head that it would also fare well by having a bruleed top, though I have long lost track of my brulee torch, I will try it one day
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.
Do you haiku?