If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We don't covet the pot of gold. We want the rainbow. Yes, the rainbow, especially when we consider Chef Lisa's Rainbow Layer Cake, four sweet layers of brightly colored cake coated in a creamy vanilla icing and decorated with Skittles candy. While this cake is jaw-droppingly impressive, it's also surprisingly simple to make. What are you waiting for? Chase the rainbow!!! - bitememore
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- green, pink, yellow and blue food coloring
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cups vegetable shortening
- 5 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- assorted skittles for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat four 8-inch round baking pans with non-stick cooking spray. Place parchment paper along the bottom of each for easy removal.
- For the cake, using an electric mixer, cream together vegetable shortening and sugar for 2 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time and add vanilla extract. Continue to beat for 2 minutes more. Add flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Divide batter evenly among 4 small bowls. Using food coloring, tint batter green, pink, yellow and blue. Pour batter into cake pans. Bake 18-22 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool completely before assembling.
- For the frosting, using an electric mixer, cream together butter and shortening. Add icing sugar on low speed until well combined. Add vanilla extract and milk, mixing until smooth and desired consistency. Place the green cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with ¾ cup frosting. Place pink layer on top and spread ¾ cup frosting over top. Place yellow layer and spread with ¾ cup frosting. Top with blue layer and spread a light coat of frosting on top and sides of the layer cake to seal in the crumbs. Use remaining frosting to cover completely. Decorate the sides of the cake with corresponding Skittles colors and cover the top with your choice of colored Skittles.
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.