If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Warming and savory, this is my very favorite dish with which to curl up when it's cold and dreary outdoors. Served over egg noodles and accompanied by some good crusty bread, a little cheese, a bottle of red wine, a good book and some blues on the iPod, it's a wonderful, relaxing, comforting meal. —Kayb
- 6 large yellow onions, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, or chuck roast cut in 1 inch or so cubes
- salt, pepper, flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 12 ounces bottle dark beer
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- cooked egg noodles, for serving
- Melt the butter with 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a Dutch oven. Add the onions and cook over medium high heat, stirring, until they begin to soften. Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until they caramelize. Remove to a bowl.
- Salt and pepper beef and dust liberally with flour. Heat remaining olive oil in same Dutch oven and brown the beef in batches, removing to bowl with onions when browned.
- Deglaze Dutch oven with beer, being sure to scrape up all the browned bits. Add beef and onions back to pot, along with beef stock, rosemary and thyme. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add brown sugar and mustard, stirring to blend, and cook for another 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Dip out a half-cup of broth, allow it to cool, and stir in cornstarch until smooth. Add back to pot and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve in wide, shallow bowls over egg noodles.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beef Stew
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.