If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Lovely pale green scones with a sweet and nippy topping. Substituting avocado for some of the traditional dairy makes these a slightly less guilty treat. - Magpye
Makes 8 scones
- 1/2 cup Very Ripe Avocado (about 1 small)
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Lime Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Lime Zest
- 2 cups plus 2 TBS Flour
- 5 tablespoons Butter, cold and cubed
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder (prefer ancho)
- Pinch Salt
- 1 teaspoon Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425
- Mash avocado in a large bowl and stir in lime juice, zest and buttermilk. Whisk until well blended and the consistency of heavy cream.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients. Either by hand or with a food processor, cut in butter until well blended, leaving a few larger pieces of butter (about the size of lentils).
- Dump the flour mixture into the avocado mixture and stir until just combined. Pour onto a work surface and knead just until dough comes together. Give it 3 final turns and pat out into an 8 inch circle.
- Combine remaining sugar, chili powder, and salt. Brush dough with buttermilk and sprinkle on the sugar mixture. Cut into 8 wedges and space evenly on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 17 minutes, until bottoms are medium brown. It is important to allow these to cool completely before eating.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados