Author Notes: These potatoes are not for the faint of heart, or, for that matter, anyone on a diet. Smashed Yukon gold potatoes are bound together with cream cheese, sour cream and butter with rich, luxuriant results, while grated onion, garlic and Cheddar cheese add extra oomph in flavor. I prefer to leave the skin on the potatoes for its toothsome appeal that compliments the smashed texture of the potatoes. - TasteFood
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 small yellow onion, grated, with juices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 3 quart baking or gratin pan.
- Quarter potatoes. Place in large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until tender; drain. Return potatoes to pot.
- Smash potatoes with a potato masher. Add cream cheese and continue to smash potatoes until cream cheese is incorporated. Add sour cream and butter and mix to combine well with a wooden spoon. Add onion and garlic. Stir in 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer potatoes to baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake until heated through and top is golden, about 30 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes