If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My family likes to play a cooking challenge named "Three Ingredients". One person lists 3 ingredients, and another one has to come up with a new recipe incorporating all three products. One time the list read: Apple, Anchovy, Avocado. This salad was my answer. It is now a staple in our house. —happystomachs blog
Makes 4 servings
- 4 pieces tick slices of bread, left out for half a day
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 piece Romaine lettuce
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 pieces garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
- 12 pieces anchovy fillets, flat, chopped
- 2 pieces avocado
- 2 pieces chicken egg
- 4 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano, freshly grated
- 2 pieces lemon, juiced
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 pieces apples (preferably a tart kind like granny smith)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut bread into even cubes. In a bowl, toss the cubes with the olive oil until evenly coated. Transfer onto the baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Wash the Romaine and meticulously dry every single leaf, either with a salad spinner or a towel. Don't cut the salad yet but store it in the fridge until later.
- In a large enough bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, pressed garlic and chopped anchovy.
- Peel and remove the pit from the avocado, cut into coarse cubes and mash with a fork. Ad to the liquid until fully incorporated.
- Add and incorporate, one at a time, egg, Parmigiano Reggiano, lemon juice and black pepper. Taste and, if desired, adjust to your liking.
- Peel the apples, cut into quarters and remove the core. Using a mandoline, cut the quarters into very thin slices, directly into the salad bowl.
- Mix Romaine and apples throughly. Add dressing and very patiently toss the salad so that every part of every piece is coated. Divide the salad between the plates and top with croutons. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados