Author Notes: When our little girl began eating solid foods I was all about making her meals verses buying the jarred stuff sitting on the shelf in the grocery. This recipe became a staple and even today still is though used more as a condiment for things like pork chops or even simply as a soup! - JennT1981
Serves 5 cups
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- 2 Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and cubed
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- 3 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place potatoes on top rack and bake until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove and cool.
- In a medium pot melt butter over medium and add apples. Toss to coat and cook stirring often about 5 minutes. Add pears, orange juice and zest, water, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes until the apples are tender.
- Peel skin from sweet potatoes and add to fruit mix. Using an immersion blender, or regular blender working in batches, puree until smooth.
- Can be served cold as a sauce or warmed as a soup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes