If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Orange & molasses is a great flavor combo, with its rich sweetness and bright citrus flavors. The brine infuses the chops, which get grilled and slathered in a homemade bbq sauce. - Stefano Coppola
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 quarts orange juice
- 4 juniper berries
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 pork chops, center cut, double thick
Orange-Molasses BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 14 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 oranges, juiced and zested
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all brine ingredients, except chops, in a large saucepot and bring to a boil. Let cool. This can be done well in advanced and refridgerated.
- Add chops and refridgerate for at least 2 hours, preferrably overnight.
- Make BBQ sauce. Start by sweating the onion, celery, & bell pepper over medium-low heat with a lage pinch of salt. When onions are translucent, about 8 minutes, add garlic. Sweat 5 more minutes, being careful not to brown the garlic.
- Deglaze with vinegar.
- Add tomatoes, molasses, sugar, orange juice & zest, and paprika.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, add bourbon. Simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Allow to cool until safe to blend in a blender or food processor.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Remove chops from brine and pat dry. Do not add additional salt.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill (closed) to desired doneness, about 8 minutes per side for medium.
- Serve with sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Pork Recipe
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.