If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's worth it; and honestly, you should be able to find everything in your cupboard. This is many years and a compilation of many recipes I tried as a single woman making a hearty long lasting meal. I have replaced potatoes with white beans which I think simplifies it a little. I like this stew because every now and again, I don't like comfort food too large. I enjoy the meatiness of the shitakes and the texture of the enoki mushrooms. I small dice everything to have it melt and be not an undertaking to eat. It's wonderful with a crusty bread and a Guinness. - csheago
Serves 6 largish servings
- 2 pounds Stew beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- garlic salt to taste
- minced fresh parsley to taste and garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 14 oz. can beef consomme
- 1 14 oz. can mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) dark beer; brown or porter recommended.
- 2 small carrots; diced.
- 1 can small white or Great Northern beans.
- 2 medium onions; diced
- 3 large garlic cloves; minced
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 pkg shitake mushrooms to taste; sliced
- 1 package enoki mushrooms to taste
- 1/2 package frozen peas; thawed
- 1 large handful of loose baby spinach
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- olive oil for browning
- In large bowl, combine 3 tbls flour, thyme, and beef. Season with parsley, garlic salt and pepper. Toss to coat. In a skillet, on medium high heat, brown the meat in batches. Approx 5 minutes. Remove and set aside. Add onions, and carrots to drippings in pan. Add more oil if necessary. Saute until onions are soft. Remove and set aside. Lastly, sauté mushrooms and garlic in pan. Remove and set aside. Transfer beef to pot. Add consommé, beer, and 1/2 can tomato paste, marjoram, tarragon, basil, bay leaves, black pepper and salt. Cover and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add carrots, onions, peas, mushrooms, beans with liquid and spinach and continue simmering about 60 minutes until tender. Garlic salt to taste. In a small bowl mix the flour and water and stir into the stew until thickened allowing some simmer time to cook the flour taste out. Please enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beef Stew
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.