If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: To be honest my favorite mashed potatoes are Robuchon's famous pomme puree, silky smooth and very rich in butter, but given that they are hardly an original recipe, I thought I'd share one from the other end of the texture spectrum. When I'm not in the mood for meltingly smooth spuds I tend to swing way over to the other end of things, and have some with a more rustic texture, and maybe even a little crunch. This dish is an amalgam of some of my favorite flavors, and is perfect with roast chicken, a nice thick steak, or even a braised lamb shank. It was inspired by some fabulously chunky potatoes I had at "Olives" once. - Oui, Chef
- 2 1/2 pounds red skinned or yukon gold potatoes
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 bulb fennel, roasted
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 4 ounces stilton cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch chives, finely minced for garnish
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 F. Wash, core and roughly chop the bulb of fennel. Toss into a bowl with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour onto a baking sheet and place into the oven. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until the fennel is nicely caramelized and has softened. Remove from the oven and reserve.
- Cook the potatoes in their jackets in boiling, salted water until cooked through. Drain them, then return them to the pan and smash them while heating over a low flame to help remove some residual moisture.
- With the potatoes still on low heat, add the butter and stir to incorporate, then add the creme fraiche, fennel, toasted walnuts, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in a warmed bowl, top with crumbled stilton and chives, and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Stop the soap opera.