If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I use a mix of carola and finger potatoes, but whatever you have on hand is fine. You can also use regular vegetable or chicken stock for a non-spicy version. The mash goes well with grilled meat, but I like to serve it as a bed for fish that has been marinated with rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and fennel. - CamsKitchen
Spicy Vegetable Stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut in 2-3 pieces
- 1 bunch mustard greens
- 6-8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste.
Spicy Potato-Parsley Mash
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound parsley root, peeled and cubed in 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups Spicy Vegetable Stock (see recipe below)
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Make the stock: heat olive oil in a large stock pot and add onions, garlic, and carrots. Let sweat for about five minutes. Add mustard greens, and cover all vegetables by at least one inch with broth. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for at least one hour. Reserve 2 cups for potato-parsley mash. You can save the rest to use another day, or put remaining contents of the pot into a blender to make a spicy soup, adding water or broth to thin out if necessary.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add onions and let soften, about five minutes. Add grated garlic and stir. Add potatoes, parsley root, and marjoram. Let sweat, about five more minutes.
- Add enough stock to cover vegetables and 2 bay leaves. Bring to a boil and season. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until vegetables are soft, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves if you can find them. Use a food mill, immersion blender, or blender to puree the vegetables.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes
Follow Food52 on social media!
Connect with us.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Soffritto's a superstar.
This is poppin'.