If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As a Filipino-American child, what is one of the greatest things about waking up in the morning? You have the privilege of eating chocolate and rice for breakfast.
Champorado, or chocolate rice porridge, is served hot with lots of sugar and milk to taste. My mom likes to eat it with heavy cream, and some like to eat it with evaporated or condensed milk (staying true to the Filipino love of canned dairy products.) Me? I like it with a spoonful of crème fraiche. Soooo good. —crispywaffle
- 1 cup glutinous rice (also known as 'sweet rice')
- 1 quart water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa, dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, sugar, salt and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Give it a stir and lower heat to medium low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Every few minutes, give it a stir. It may cook faster than 15 minutes; basically, you are looking for it to be thick, and the rice to be cooked through, not gritty in the middle. (I definitely check it at the 10 minute mark; lots of times it takes about 12 minutes to cook through.)
- While the rice is cooking, whisk the ¼ cup boiling water into the cocoa powder in a small bowl. When it’s cooled a bit, whisk in the vanilla.
- Once the rice is cooked, whisk the cocoa mixture into the rice mixture. Cook, uncovered, over medium low for another 5 minutes until the cocoa has absorbed into the porridge.
- Serve with sugar and milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk, half and half, heavy cream crème fraiche, or whatever dairy product you like best.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge
How to clean and organize your kitchen—and keep it that way
Get your kitchen clutter under control.
Get baking this Labor Day.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
A chef's kids' lunch.
Storage made crystal clear.