If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was lucky enough to live next to a Malaysian grandmother who made an authentic version of this black rice porridge. It is simple to make, but complex in flavor, texture, as well as striking in color. It's worth the effort to hunt down these ingredients. I've tried to substitute and it just ain't worth it after you've had the real thing. My version adds some crunch from shaved coconut and toasted almonds. —monkeymom
- 1 cup Black Rice (also known as Forbidden Rice)
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1 golf ball size piece of palm sugar (can use 3-4 Tbsp brown sugar)
- Bring rice and 3 cups water to a boil. Simmer for 30-45 minutes with top off of pot. The water will become deep purple/black.
- When almost all liquid has absorbed, check rice for doneness. It should have a little chew to it, but not too much. Think risotto.
- Add palm sugar and another 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil to dissolve sugar. The mixture should become glossy and thick.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, taste. Add more sugar if necessary (should be very sweet).
- Turn off stove and cover pot. Wait at least 15 minutes.
White Coconut Sauce
- 1/3 cup lite coconut milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- shaved unsweetened coconut (untoasted)
- toasted sliced blanched almonds
- Mix coconut milk, salt, and sugar. The saltiness of this topping goes great with the sugary porridge.
- Check porridge - taste for your desired level of sweetness and thickness. Adjust with more sugar or water if needed.
- Spoon porridge into small bowl. Add white coconut sauce and sprinkle with almonds and shaved coconut.
- Add more sauce and crunchy things as you eat.
- This can be eaten hot or cold, for dessert or breakfast.
Welcome to Funky Town
How to make kimchi—without a recipe
Make kimchi—without a recipe.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Eat cookies for breakfast.
The chicest apron around.