If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm a Southerner. We love grits. We love almost anything you can do to grits except sweeten them (that's reserved for cream-of-wheat). I personally favor my grits enhanced with cheese; this happy accident occurred when I impulsively tossed in some leftover caramelized onions from dinner the night before. And because anything's better with an egg on top, I added an over-easy one. And that required bacon so I'd have bacon fat in which to fry the egg. And a classic was born. - Kayb
- 1/2 cup grits (do NOT use quick or instant!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup caramelized onions
- 1/4 cup grated hard cheese of your choice
- 1 egg
- 2 strips bacon
- Bring water to a boil over medium high heat; add grits, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, whisking occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon and drain. In 2 tbsp of bacon grease, fry the egg. (If there is any additional bacon grease, pour it into the grits. They will thank you.)
- Stir onions, cheese and butter into grits; pour into a bowl or onto a plate. Top with egg, and serve bacon alongside.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls